Back to all Recipes Serving Suggestion
- 6 poblano chile peppers
- 1½ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3 egg whites plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- ½ cup flour
- 1 (16-ounce) jar HERDEZ® Salsa Verde, heated
- Heat broiler. Set oven rack 6 inches from broiler.
- Place peppers on a foil-lined large rimmed baking pan. Broil peppers on all sides 5 to 10 minutes, or until the skin is blistered and slightly charred.
- Transfer to large resealable plastic bag; seal and let stand for 10 minutes to soften.
- Remove from bag. Peel peppers, using a paper towel if necessary to help remove the skin.
- Cut a slit across the top of each pepper, leaving the stem intact. Cut another slit lengthwise down the pepper towards the tip. Gently open the pepper to remove the seeds and inner membranes.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Stuff peppers with cheese mixture, dividing evenly. Fold sides of peppers around the filling, securing with toothpicks.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add egg yolk and beat 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil to 375°F.
- In a shallow dish, place flour and season with remaining salt and pepper. Dredge each stuffed pepper in flour and then dip in egg white mixture.
- Fry in hot oil 1 to 2 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towel lined plate. Serve with warmed salsa verde.