Beef Chili Relleno
A traditional Mexican dish, our Beef Chili Relleno is spicy and a generational favorite. Enjoy making this dish with your family.
1 hour, 10 minutes
1 hour, 45 minutes
- 6 Large fresh poblano peppers, washed
- 1-Pound ground beef
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon cumin
- 14-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 Clove garlic, minced
- 1 Small white onion, diced
- 2 Medium red potatoes, peeled and diced small
FOR CHILE RELLENO BATTER
- 1⁄3 Cup flour
- 5 Large room temperature eggs, separated
- 2 Cups canola oil for frying
- 16-ounces HERDEZ® Chipotle Salsa Cremosa
- Heat broiler to high for 5 minutes. Place poblanos on large rimmed baking sheet, cook 5 to 6 minutes per side or until skins blister. Remove peppers and transfer to a paper bag to steam and cool.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat combine beef, salt, garlic powder, cumin and pepper. Cook 5 to 6 minutes or until beef is browned. Add onions and garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add fired roasted tomatoes with juice and potatoes, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Taste for seasonings and continue cooking at a low simmer until sauce reduces. Remove from heat. Allow beef to cool completely.
- Peel blistered skins from the poblano peppers. Cut an opening and remove seeds and veins. Stuff each pepper with beef, just enough to fill. Do not over stuff. Dredge the filled peppers in flour, shaking off excess flour. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, preheat canola oil to medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a glass bowl, add egg whites. Using a hand-held electric mixer, whip on high until stiff peaks form. Tilt the bowl slightly while beating and move the beaters quickly back and forth. This will help put more air into the egg whites. When ready, on low speed, mix in egg yolks until blended. Dip each stuffed pepper into egg batter and fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel lined plate. Serve right away or keep warm in a low temperature oven until ready to eat.
- Garnish relleno with warm Herdez® Chipotle Salsa Cremosa. Serve with a side of rice, beans and warm tortillas.