- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 ¼ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 (10-ounce) cans LA VICTORIA® Red Enchilada Sauce
- 12 corn tortillas, torn into 2-inch pieces
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise. Place cut-side down on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until softened. Let stand 15 minutes. Scoop out flesh, mash and set aside, discarding skin.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- In large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, cook 17 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until onions are browned. Stir in chili powder, cumin and salt and cook 1 minute. Let stand 15 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine onion mixture, butternut squash, ricotta cheese and ¾ cup Mexican cheese blend.
- In lightly greased 11- x 8 -inch baking dish, spoon a layer of butternut squash mixture. Top with tortilla pieces, and sauce. Repeat layers and top with remaining ¾ cup shredded cheese. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with green onions, if desired.