Chipotle Chorizo Pasta
Who says a pasta dish can only have Italian flavors? This subtly spicy pasta has chorizo and Oaxaca cheese for real Mexican flavor.
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or olive oil
- 16 ounces ziti, rigatoni or medium shells pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Salt to taste
- 1/3 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) jar Herdez® Chipotle Salsa Cremosa
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces Mexican chorizo, cooked
- 1 cup Mexican crema
- 10 ounces Oaxaca or Chihuahua cheese, crumbled
- 4 ounces Cotija cheese, finely crumbled
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- In large oven-proof skillet over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add uncooked pasta. Toast and fry the pasta, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add onions, garlic, bell pepper, and black pepper to toasted pasta in the skillet. Saute for 3
- Add chipotle salsa cremosa and chicken broth. Stir gently. Cover, reduce heat slightly.
Continue cooking 15 to 25 minutes or until pasta is cooked through.
- Mix in chorizo, Mexican crema and Oaxaca cheese. Cook on low just until cheese melts.
- Set broiler to HIGH. Broil 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Garnish with Cotija and cilantro.