Cilantro Lime Shrimp Sopes
A popular Mexican dish, these savory cakes are topped with cilantro lime shrimp, making it a top-requested dish in our family.
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, plus more for frying sopes
- ¾ cup white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chile serrano, minced
- 3 large Roma tomatoes, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large limes
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 5 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 16 ounce jar HERDEZ® Cilantro Lime Salsa Cremosa
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 8 premade sopes
- In large skillet, over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions, garlic and chile. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook 6-7 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to break down and release all their juices.
- Add butter, juice of 1 lime and shrimp. Season with additional salt and pepper. Stir well to combine and continue cooking just until shrimp turns pink. Fold in ¼ cup of cilantro. Cover tightly and remove from heat.
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat 3/4 cup oil. Fry sopes in batches until crispy. Drain on paper towel lined plate. In medium bowl, mix cabbage and 1/2 cup salsa.
- To serve, add some of the dressed cabbage to the bottom of the sopes. Spoon on some of the shrimp mixture. Garnish with more cilantro lime salsa cremosa., avocado and remaining cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- Before you cook the shrimp, prep all of your ingredients and garnishes ahead, except the avocado which can be sliced right before serving.