Hibiscus and Nopal Tacos
Nopals are a basic staple in Mexican cuisine. Nopal Tacos are vegetarian friendly and can be eaten any time of the day!
2 Hrs 35 Minutes
2 Hrs 40 Minutes
- 2 cups dry hibiscus flower
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced serrano chile
- 1 (30-ounce) jar DOÑA MARÍA® Nopalitos, drained
- Salt to taste
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- ½ avocado sauce
- Rinse dry hibiscus flowers under running water 1 to 2 minutes or until water turns from magenta to light pink.
- In large saucepan bring 4 cups water to boil. Add hibiscus. Simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Cover; let steep 2 hours.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Sauté onion 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent. Add chiles. Sauté 1 minute. Mix in hibiscus, cook 4 minutes. Remove mixture from skillet.
- In the same pan over medium heat cook nopales 2 minutes or until heated through. Season to taste with salt.
- Heat Mexican comal over medium heat, warm tortillas 1 minute per side or until golden
- To serve, stack 2 tortillas on each of 4 plates. Top with hibiscus and nopales. Serve with sauce.