Mushroom Tamales with Mole
Give a vegetarian twist to a traditional recipe
2 Hours 35 Minutes
2 Hours 55 Minutes
- 1 (8.25-ounce) jar DOÑA MARÍA® Mole Verde
- 3 ¼ cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 ¼ pounds crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 (6 – ounce) package dried corn husks soaked in water
- 3 ¼ pounds pre-made masa
- 1 ½ cups soft goat cheese
- In large stock pot over medium heat combine DOÑA MARÍA® Mole Verde and vegetable stock. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a large cooking pan over medium heat, add 4 cups combined mushrooms, cover pan and cook 4 minutes or until slightly brown. Add remaining mushrooms 1 cup every 4 minutes. Add onion, garlic, oregano and salt to taste. Cook 5 to 7 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Pat corn husk dry with paper towels.
- Spread masa across husk leaving 1-inch border on all sides. Top masa with thin layer of mushrooms. Cover mushrooms with layer of mole mixture, add cheese.
- Fold bottom one-third of corn husk over filling; fold sides in toward center. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- In a steamer basket set over a large pot of boiling water. Place tamales vertically. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and the lid. Steam 1 hour, turn heat off and rest 1 hour more.
- Open tamales carefully and enjoy!