- 7 ounces cooked chicken
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs (for breading)
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- ⅓ (2.75 – ounces) jar DOÑA MARÍA® Mole Pipian
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup lettuce and sprouts washed and disinfected
For the homemade bechamel sauce:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 5 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Shred the cooked or roasted chicken by cutting into ⅓ -inch cubes and reserve.
- In small pot over low heat, place onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add chicken and stir everything for 2 minutes and reserve.
- For the bechamel sauce: In medium saucepan, add butter over low heat and cook for 2 minutes. When the butter is melted, remove saucepan from heat and add flour. Work until you have a homogeneous dough. Cook over low heat for 4 minutes until the flour is cooked and reserve.
- In small pot over low heat, pour milk and heat for 8 minutes. When ready, slowly add milk to flour and butter mixture. Blend for 8 minutes over low heat while mixing to avoid lumps. Add teaspoons of nutmeg and salt. Add chicken and onion mixture. Cook over low heat for 8 minutes until the mixture peels off the sides of the pot. Take pot off the heat, pour croquettes dough into a 12×15 tray and let it cool to prevent it from forming a crust.
- Prepare a plate with flour, another with the beaten eggs and another with breadcrumbs. With a spoon, grab a portion of the dough and roll it into an elongated shape. Pass it first through the flour, then through the egg and finally through the breadcrumbs until evenly covered. Place in a 13×15 tray to reserve. Repeat the operation until all the dough is used up, let it rest 30 minutes.
- In large skillet over medium heat, pour oil and fry croquettes over for 4 minutes until golden brown. Drain on blotting paper to remove excess oil and reserve.
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine DOÑA MARÍA® Mole Pipian and the chicken broth and heat for 5 minutes, reserve.
- Serve the chicken croquettes and top with the pipián sauce to taste. Accompany with lettuce and sprouts.