- 4 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, separated
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, separated
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic, separated
- 2 teaspoons cumin, separated
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 (16-ounce) jars HERDEZ® Salsa Verde
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 large Anaheim peppers, previously roasted, peeled and diced
- 2/3 cup cilantro, chopped fine, separated
- 1⁄4 cup corn flour (masa harina)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 8 ounces fried tortilla strips
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 3 jalapeños, finely diced
- Slice chicken into 3⁄4 inch cubes, ands transfer to a bowl. Add salt, black pepper, granulated granulated garlic and cumin. Mix well and reserve.
- In large skillet, over medium heat, heat oil. Working in batches, brown chicken. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add both jars of HERDEZ® Salsa Verde to the slow cooker and turn to high.
- In slow cooker, add the onions, garlic, jalapeños, roasted Anaheim peppers, cilantro and 1 cup of chicken broth. Stir well to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3 1⁄2 hours. Stirring occasionally.
- In small bowl, mix the masa harina with 1⁄2 cup of remaining chicken broth. Stir until very smooth. Mix in some of the hot salsa from the crock pot and return mixture to slow cooker. Stir well, Add in remaining black pepper, granulated garlic and cumin. Taste for salt. Cover and continue cooking on high for 1 hour. Mixture will become thick.
- Serve in bowls. Garnish with tortilla strips, sour cream, cheese, reserve cilantro and reserved jalapeño.