Spicy Chorizo and Cornbread Dressing
A great Southwestern play on traditional bread and sausage dressing that’s quick, easy and everyone will love.
1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 pounds dried or toasted ½-inch cubed cornbread
- 1 pound chorizo
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced carrot
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced Chayote squash or zucchini squash
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or ½ tablespoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or ½ tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 cup cold chicken or turkey stock
- 2 cups LA VICTORIA® Thick ‘N Chunky Salsa
- Heat oven to 325°F. Place dried cornbread in large bowl.
- On medium heat in an iron skillet, brown chorizo, stir occasionally until thoroughly cooked. Drain fat rand set aside. Add chorizo to cornbread bowl. Do not mix.
- Using the same skillet, add back 1 tablespoon of the chorizo fat and sauté the vegetables until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add herbs.
- Add vegetable mixture, chorizo, and cornbread mixture.
- Pour chicken stock and salsa into bowl and gently toss, mixing well without breaking up to much of the cornbread.
- Transfer mixture back into skillet, or if preferred, ungreased casserole pan.
- Bake 45 minutes. Cover the top with foil if the top begins to brown too fast.